On Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:38 Taher Alkhateeb, <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Scott, thank you for your thoughts, inline ...
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Scott Gray
> <scott.g...@hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:
> > I think no matter what we use someone will always want something
> different.
> > I'm beginning to lose count of the number of custom APIs I've written
> over
> > the years to support custom UIs.
> >
> > I think the bigger win would be to start providing APIs and rewriting our
> > existing screens to use them. From there we could start looking at new UI
> > frameworks.
>
> Do you mean by APIs rewriting our XSD files and model objects? Why
> rewrite? Why not just enhance them for new / missing functionality?
> What are the flaws you'd like to redesign?

No, I'm talking about web services. With well designed web services custom
projects would be able to build out new user interfaces in a lot less time
and we'd be able to poc new interfaces for the community project without
even touching the existing codebase.

> > Most of the projects I've worked on have needed huge amounts of UI
> > customization and having prebuilt APIs would have reduced the workload
> much
> > more than having a shinier UI that still needs to be completely
> rewritten,
> > although I'll admit the latter would probably help the sales process.
>
> The "shiny" part is a plus, but not the core of my suggestion. The
> reasons I suggested these libraries are:
> - bootstrap: the grid system, this is the cake for me. You have a
> powerful responsive grid system for better layouts. The buttons,
> tables and other bling bling are icing on the cake.
> - Vue: The core of this technology is to allow binding of your context
> model to the DOM so that you don't write oodles of JavaScript and
> Jquery to create dynamic behavior. It's really old school in 2018 to
> keep jumping between many pages to get something done.
>

> > Does it not worry anyone else that our service engine still only defines
> > basic map for in/out parameters when the rest of the world is using the
> > likes of swagger and restful APIs?
>
> Of course it worries me, and if you start an initiative I will be the
> first to jump in and volunteer. In fact it's on my todo list, and I
> was looking at multiple options lately and I'm very attracted to
> GraphQL for example because of the reduced visits to the backend.
> However, I don't see this as being related to my proposal here, I'm
> just setting my own priorities of what to work on next. What's wrong
> with starting _both_ initiatives for that matter?

Nothing is wrong with both, but as you pointed out many discussions and
efforts have begun and then floundered. I'm simply offering some thoughts
on where I see the most potential benefit from a large scale effort.