Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com> writes:

> So more or less, the heart of your message as I understand it is that
> we should decouple the rendering of the user interface from data
> fetching and manipulation. This makes perfect sense and is a good
> strategy.
>
> A bit contrary to your experience though, most of our work relies
> heavily on the widget system for time-to-market reasons. It has been
> immensely beneficial to get something out the door quickly. However,
> of course the system falls short when it comes to heavy customizations
> or the need to integrate with other systems.
>
> So I would suggest that perhaps your comment in this thread that
> "having prebuilt APIs would have reduced the workload" is applicable
> in case of custom work. Otherwise, perhaps the faster route is through
> the widget system. Therefore I think it is reasonable to apply both
> strategies: 1) use good modern UI tools 2) build powerful flexible web
> APIs. But for standard screens, I see no reason to use web service
> calls instead of <action>...</action> tags to do quick and obvious
> things unless perhaps you make the web API call part of the widget
> system itself (also a good idea!)

I don't know much Vue.js, but supposing it has the same concepts as
React and Angular.  I would say that those frameworks implement their
own notion of widget which they call “components”.  So if OFBiz was
about to provide some reusable components based on a default JS
framework to build single page applications, that could probably achieve
the same benefits in term of fast implementation as Widgets.

> Anyway, you're making me think more seriously of pushing forward the
> implementation of web services, but I think introducing these
> frameworks is going to be beneficial either way.

I would guess the benefits depend on how their are introduced.  If that
couples OFBiz with those frameworks then the technical tradeoffs and
perennity of those frameworks need to be considered carefully.  AIUI Web
services seems hardly avoidable to decouple the JS framework from the
Renderer, but maybe I am overlooking something?

FYI I am currently working on finding a solution to let external
applications access OFBiz services/entities via a REST API [1].

[1]
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ofbiz-dev/201804.mbox/%3Ce373cd98-12b7-247b-3c73-9402f1135267%40nereide.fr%3E

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37