Hi Samuel,

Inline too...

Le 06/01/2020 à 10:29, Samuel Trégouët a écrit :
Hi all,
[snip...]

Michael has started to discuss because he had missed the commit which
removes component-load.xml in applications and framework and he claimed
[2] that we didn't discuss in d...@obfiz.apache.org before: completely
true! Why do we need to discuss such an implementation detail? Some
argue that we have to discuss before intruducing any *big* changement
:confused: What is a *big* changement? In software library/framework it
is quite easy to answer: a big changement is a breaking in public api.
So here is the question from Mathieu:

   what is OFBiz public API?

In my opinion we need an answer for this question otherwise we need to
discuss every single changement! which seems to be really cumbersome!
And even if we discuss every single changement how to decide it is good
for our community: *one* other contributor thumb-up is enough? maybe
*two*? do we need to wait forever if others don't care about a
particular changement?

Mathieu and you make good points with the notion of "OFBiz public API".
It would be indeed good to have a such concept to officially (ie w/ a prior
consensus) collect all parts that always need deeper discussions and consents.

But I fear it's not easy to define and this needs if not a deep discussion at
least a long one (see the kinda recursion here?).

So before having all agreed about what the "OFBiz public API" is I think we need to cure the present issue. Except if Mathieu is pleased to wait before this is agreed on.

Remember at the ASF most is about discussion and agreement. As the motto, which has has
proved is efficiency over years, says: *"Community over code".*

[snip...]

Michael's
=========
To my understanding, if we use depends-on exclusively for framework,
applications and plugins, this would not be possible anymore.
This is where you're wrong. From the beginning using depends-on in
framework doesn't imply using it in plugins! The thing which drive
Mathieu to revert is that you cannot, in *framework* override depends-on
with a component-load.xml.

So you say that depends-on and component-load.xml are incompatible?
This opens a new discussion to me. Because then we don't speak about
deprecation but about replacement...

And here we are with the actual discussion:

1. component-load.xml in plugin directory seems to be feature (nobody
    discuss this point)
2. what about component-load.xml in framework and applications
    directories? is it also a feature (in other words a public API) or an
    implementation detail

I tend to think that it's not a feature. I'd though not say that it's an "implementation detail" ;) As often in "real-life" it's not black or white. It's greyed and implications may be complex...

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Ofbiz+as+a+development+framework+-+release+10.04
This reference is a bit old and stated as wip so I will consider it
as irrelevant for our discussion ;)

I think we can indeed consider a 10 years old WIP reference a "bit old". I even don't see how what was wrote then still currently applies *in trunk*. It even me wonder what I should to about OFBIZ-3500 :/ Certainly not close it!

My 2cts

Jacques

cheers,

Samuel