Hi Mathieu,

Inline...

Le 28/01/2020 à 20:31, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
Hello Jacques,

"jler...@apache.org" <jler...@apache.org> writes:

But I got a
fast-forward issue and after trying several pull and push tricks I
understood I'll never pass over this issue:

    "[remote rejected]       trunk -> trunk (pre-receive hook declined)"

Because it's related to having "receive.denynonfastforwards" set to
true on GitBox server[1] and I don't want to annoy Infra to temporary
set it true for a such change.
One must never, never, never rewrite history of the trunk branch. :-)

Yes I know and I did not :)

This was an awkward experience, I don't know if i could have done it better,
ideas, advices?
Maybe advising contributors to use our template in commit comments used by
GitHub PRs?
The best option I think is to clone the branch locally, amend the
necessary commits, push on the PR branch ask for validation from the
original author, and then from your terminal rebase on trunk and
fast-forward merge the commits (meaning without a merge commit).

Obviously too much work at the expense of committers, at least for me.

Basically the better option to use Github Web interface only for
discussion/review.

+1

Also we can ask our contributors to use in the PRs title the format of
our commit template. For instance in[2] instead of

    OFBIZ-11331: Allow ComponentContainerTest to run on windows
    rather
    Fixed: Allow ComponentContainerTest to run on windows (OFBIZ-11331)

    Then the commit/s would contain the explanations.

I just fear we will have sometimes to explain, and ask contributors to edit
their comments or titles...

I'll sleep on it and wait for comments before doing any additions or
changes in our documentation about that, in relation with the "Github
PRs and Jira" thread
I think it would be better to not use the PR feature as long as there is
not a community consensus that this is an acceptable contribution
channel.  As stated previously I am not against adopting Github PR *if
and only if* we have a plan to move out of Jira.

The problem is that if you use one of the PR merge option you don't get your commit comment following the template. Actually the commit comment is not yours, it's the contributor's.

Given the pile of existing policies, I don't think this is a good idea
to simply provide more contribution options/policies, I think it is
important to review existing ones and consider replacing some of them.

Yes we have OFBIZ-11301 and OFBIZ-11271 pending for that

For example we could deprecate patch based contribution, or at least
adopt the ‘git format-patch’ conventions.

As an Eclipse user I don't really see how it would help me, at least; rather the contrary. I could of course change that and instead of C/P  a patch safe as a file but it's again more work.

Thanks