Hello

On 29/01/2020 07:58, Michael Brohl wrote:

> Not sure if we necessarily have to deprecate the patch based
> contributions. It could be a simpler way for contributors to provide a
> change, especially if they are not developers and/or familiar with the
> pull request mechanisms. Maybe the patch based way becomes obsolete
> naturally but I would not force it.
>
> We should work out a simple, documented way how to do it with PR's and
> encourage contributors to use it, including using proper commit
> statements following our template to prevent doing correctional work
> on the committers site.

I have no strong opinion for path or PR, all seem good for me. But for
PR if the author is the contributer and not the commiter, I have a doubt
about the legal status and the ICLA [1].

  >      The purpose of this agreement is to clearly define the terms
under which intellectual property
  >  has been contributed to the ASF and thereby allow us to defend the
project should there be a
  >  legal dispute regarding the software at some future time. A signed
ICLA is required to be on file
  >  before an individual is given commit rights to any ASF project.

Personally I have a preference to cherry-pick all commits and squash
them and unique commit  with proper commit message

Nicolas

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/contributor-agreements.html#clas