It's not quite that easy, so I'd recommend you think through this a lot before you leap (unless you're intending for this to be a learning experience, then go for it and see what you run into).

For example: the search results can include hundreds or thousands of results. Many of the operations, like adding to or removing from a category, are meant to be usable with a large number of product results. The check boxes for them (that are used only for the create variant from virtuals form) might not be terribly useful or might need to be done in more creative ways.

-David