OK, thanks for the link, I will study...

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I have not written much on the wiki yet because is very complicated.
however part of the proposal is the stages and sequence to get this done
so people that have data already in use will not suffer.
in the light
yes there will be a series of patches probably under different task in
the same jira.
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Address+Schema+Change+Proposal

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 8/9/2008 10:26 AM:
From: "BJ Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Yes it save a lot of programming. mostly in matching the stored address
with the with the user input.
that is part of the change plan to to implement that.
the stored postal address, would be already postoffice formatted for the
country. so the matching algorithm for the user input and the screen to
do this is more complicated, but will worth the effort making sure there
is a usable address in the system.

This is interesting. I think we will look forward for a Jira with
patch(es). I write patch(es) because if it's a large piece of code it is
worth to split it in patches.
For instance at least data model and code separated. Maybe more
separation between code from functionnalities, etc.

Jacques

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 8/9/2008 3:22 AM:
I agree that addresses should not be specific to a party and could be
shared. Let see what other think. There may be a good reason it's build
like that... It introduces some redundancy but maybe save programming
efforts...

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ah, well I am working a plan to remove toname and attnname.
if you read the data books it was not laid out that way.
my concept was
                             contactMechtoPostalAddressAssoce
postal addresss -------------->postaladdressid
                              ContactMechID  <------------contact Mech
the toname and attentent name would become part of the contact mech
types with those types using the same relationship.
so one postal address is in the database.
Just like in the real world that is just one address, or location.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 8/9/2008 12:56 AM:
To answer you question you have only to have a look at the
PostalAddress
definition
There are specific fields there like toName and attnName which can't
shared. A PostalAddress is only an administrative mean to contact, not
to locate

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
so when someone else puts in the same address will they point to the
same address or will a new record be added?

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 8/8/2008 2:33 PM:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacques Le Roux"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>