Jacques

From: "madppiper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Why even stick to Varchars? You can keep it at Char(60) - that reserves the
space within the database table, but doesn't mean that you can't enter a
10char string into it...  (it's a matter of diskspace really, nothing else)

Patrick Antivackis wrote:

David is right to point out the parametric search, this is a good reason
keep a 100% db search for products.
About the speed, i think nobody knows who will win between lucene and a
database (and which database ;) ), but databases usually are less
efficient
with variable length index than with constant length index (and keyword is
varchar(60)).

Patrick