Couldn't we use the principles of Test Driven Development as an approach to
get and keep the trunk "stable"? I plea for more and better use of unit
tests and not to commit code that does not pass the tests. It also makes it
easier for reviewers to do what they have to do: just review and not test.

Introducing TDD in my company greatly reduced the amount of bugs and made
use create new releases with very little effort. I understand that
controlled environment is different from a community driven project so I'm
curious what your opinions are.

-Jeroen