You could try looking at the Visit and ServerHit records for the user to get an idea of what may have done this.

What caused this is a good question... the database is supposed to be cleaned out every day, and if it isn't working then something's up. One possibility is that the theme was changed through an insecure URL if there is one somewhere in some application, and that would work.

-David