Adrian Crum wrote:
> On 7/9/2010 7:00 AM, Adam Heath wrote:
>> BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> I would like to see one place that enables them all
>>> but if that is not enabled then web.xml would.
>>> with as many components(over 30) I have I would like the all function.
>>
>> I haven't looked at at any of the code, but what you guys want here is
>> boolean logic with tri-states.
>>
>> if web.xml doesn't have the setting, use the global value.
>> if there is no global value, then default to false.
>>
>> So you would remove all these settings from all components, then they
>> would all use the value of the global setting.
>>
>> But if a pariticular web.xml has the value set, then it would become
>> disconnected from the global setting.
>
> That was the behavior before Hans changed it. Now local settings are
> ignored if the global setting is true.
>
> And it isn't tri-state - it's more like inheritance. The
> widget.properties setting is the default. You can override that setting
> in web.xml. On top of that you can override both of those settings with
> a parameter or context variable.

If that's the case, then the change should be reverted.

In such a tri-state system, either the global setting is a higher
priority, or the local setting is.  There is no way the global could
be higher in one situation, and the local higher in another.

Before this change, the local setting had priority.  After this
change(based on discussion I've seen here), a global setting has priority.

There is no particular reason to have one setting have more priority
than the other, so in those situations, the status quo should be
followed, which means don't change it.  So, the patch should be reverted.

Now, a could different separate discussions could be started, if: one,
this global/local setting doesn't follow the pattern in other parts of
ofbiz, or two, the system should be changed to allow global settings
to take priority.

ps: I'm just trying to restate what I have seen said in this thread,
in a way that everyone involved can understand and agree on.  I have
tried not to take any particular side(that sounds combative), or make
any kind of decision.