On Mar 20, 2011, at 10:02 AM, Joe Eckard wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2011, at 11:33 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> I'm writing this to start a thread to discuss:
>>
>> If you could change ANYTHING in the OFBiz data model, what would it be?
>>
>> To kick this off here are some ideas I've compiled that have come up over
>> the years (many based on feedback from people on this mailing list), or that
>> I thought of recently will working on this topic. You can see them below...
>>
>> -David

>> - Move most *Type entities to Enumeration values (update seed data, referring
>> entities, remove *Type) (after this remove all remaining hasTable fields)
>
> Related to this:
>
> - Add the enumTypeId to the entity definition for the field
>
>       <field name="locationTypeEnumId" enum-type="FACLOC_TYPE" ...

That's an interesting idea, make the framework aware of the EnumerationTypes...

What I'm thinking of instead would be to use a convention, basically have the
relation(ship).@title attribute be the enumTypeId (and use CamelCasing for the
enumTypeIds).

> Also,
>
> - Make userLoginId an ID that isn't changed, add a field for "name" that can
> be updated

Yeah, that's a good idea. I like it enough that I just changed Moqui to work
that way.

Right now OFBiz has a work-around for changing usernames by creating a new
UserLogin record and attaching it to the same Party. Since most stuff in the
system records by party this works okay, but it's true that there is still a
lot of stuff attached to the userLoginId that wouldn't be carried over, so this
approach you're talking about is clearly better.

> - Condense credit card name fields (first, middle, last, prefix, suffix,
> etc.) into a single "nameOnCard"

This one I'm not so sure about. The OFBiz CreditCard entity actually started
out with a single field for the name on card (and one for the company name on
card), and then we ran into a problem where certain payment processors ask for
separate first/middle/last names, and splitting based on spaces is not reliable
(especially for those with multiple last names, etc).

Is there are particular reason you've found the separated fields annoying?