Thanks Adrian and Paul for the valuable comments.

Taking all comments into account, we will do the following: (most is
already done)

1. a single product can refer to one or more assets. (as is now)
2. An asset can refer to a single inventory item. (is added)
3. With this product type, the assetid will be shown on the orderitem,
picklist and  shipping slip which also will show the RA# (return auth #)
4. the item can be received in the facility -> receive return option.

more info at:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/control/ViewBlogArticle?contentId=91048

Regards,
Hans