On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:06 PM, Adam Heath wrote:

>> But in one sentence I would like to integrate a tm that supports the
>> recovery of transactions... and in the way it is currently integrated in
>> OFBiz, Geronimo TM doesn't support this.
>
> Would it be possible to change the geronimo integration?

Yes, in fact I started with this and I have a local modification that I may be
able to contribute soon; the idea is to setup the Geronimo TM with a different
"transaction log" class:
* we are currently using the UnrecoverableLog class and and this is not a
reliable solution [*]
* Geronimo provides a "transaction log" based on Howl [**] and this is the one
I was able to plug in (with some work) in my local copy

However I also faced some issues and the documentation of Geronimo in this area
is very poor; also extracting the TM from new releases of Geronimo is
challenging (this has been challenging also in the past but in the new release
I couldn't even find the separate jars); also the fact that Geronimo TM bases
its core operations on Howl may be a little concerning as Howl's last release
was in January 2007.

Even if none of the above issues may block us to enhance the current Geronimo
integration (and as I wrote, I may be able to provide an enhancement for it),
they made me spend some time researching for other more modern solutions and I
came to Atomikos TransactionsEssentials [***] that seems to be a valid
solution, actively maintained and adopted by several open source projects
(including David's Moqui); its license is ASL2.0.

But yeah, I am still working on this and I will keep you updated on the outcome.

[*] This is a comment from the class's source file:

/**
 * A log sink that doesn't actually do anything.
 * Not recommended for production use as heuristic recovery will be needed if
 * the transaction coordinator dies.
 */

[**] http://howl.ow2.org/

[***] http://www.atomikos.com/Main/TransactionsEssentials