Unless I'm mistaken crawlers don't follow post urls, they only follow links so
I doubt it would really matter from an SEO perspective what code we used when
doing a post redirect.  I really only commented to avoid a blanket change to
301 being introduced.

If you want to be able to do a permanent redirect then I'd consider naming them
as such instead of using the response codes e.g. request-redirect-permanent or
url-permanent.

Maybe an option is to allow a status-code attribute on the response element?
It could be used for a number of things even outside of redirects.

Regards
Scott

>>> http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=40132