Some years ago we engaged in a discussion about rewriting the OFBiz framework:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ofbiz-dev/201203.mbox/%3c4f4f51da.50...@sandglass-software.com%3E

Then a suggestion was made to base OFBiz on the Moqui framework:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ofbiz-dev/201203.mbox/%3c4f617965.4010...@me.com%3E

Since those discussions, progress has been made in rewriting bits and pieces of the framework, but no one has tackled replacing the framework entirely. I am ready to begin that effort.

My preference would be to create a branch and start building things out there - with the help of others. The goal would be to start over from scratch - using sound design principles and the lessons learned from the current code.

If there is support for this effort, then I can begin working on it in February. If not, then I will most likely start a separate project - similar to the approach taken by Moqui.

I created a design document:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Another+Framework+Vision

It is in the draft stage. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

--
Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software