To Report or Not To Report, that is the question?

First:

I agree with the viewpoint that optionals in special purpose don't change
the experience of apps in the applications stack. A good example
modification to a longer existing issue regarding the field
parentCustRequestId. In such cases we should assess whether the
implementation should be brought to the appropriate component in the
applications stack.

*Reporting with framework elements in components*

   - *Pro*
      - This is quit easily done, with screens, forms, ftl files and
      services in groovy, java and javascript files.
      - Often integrated in the component that is used to register the
      transactions, e.g. accounting, order, product, etc
      - Works well with screen prints etc.
      - Utilises features from the framework stack (e.g. security, entity
      engine
      - ......
   - *Con*
   - For extra functionality in the report additional effort is necessary
      - For long reports extra burden on the transaction engine.
      - For BI purposes it might prove to complex.
      - Accesses data through features from the framework stack (e.g.
      entity engine)
      - Additional complexity in component
      - ....

*Reporting through report engine*

   - *Pro*
   - Accesses data directly from the rdbms
      - Opens opportunity to do scheduled reporting and have them delivered
      by email, ftp etc.
      - Optional
      - Adds explicitly to the OFBiz value proposition (especially if we
      change the name to reports). OFBiz does reporting!
      - Can be offloaded to a separate OFBiz instance
      - Functions can be added to generate reports via eca's
      - ....
   - *Con*
      - additional learning curve
      - other kind of contributors and committers required
      - ...

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*