Pierre is right to be cautious.

It is not just s swap of one build program for another.
There is a real change in the way one looks at software applications.

The current mixup with the dependencies would be much harder to do under Maven.
Moving to Maven would almost certainly require that this be fixed.

The software parts of the project would probably have to be restructured into a much more cleanly layered set of dependencies. One would want to look at the structure of seed data and the whole process of installing OFBiz.

One would also want to look at the Framework as a separate product (if the community wants to promote this use of OFBiz) and set that up as a separate deliverable with a separate build structure that produces a jar of code and a process to deliver and install the seed data required for a non-ERP application to call on the Framework as a dependency.

This would have many advantages for building custom ERPs based on OFBiz but would require some work and consensus building that might be hard to say the least.

Ron