> On 20 Apr 2015, at 12:48, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>
> On 20/04/2015 3:11 PM, David E. Jones wrote:
>>> On 20 Apr 2015, at 11:35, Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would Moqui become a sub-project of OFBiz with distinct deliverable with an
>>> Apache license?
>>> Or is that too much community?
>> IMO they are better as distinct projects. There is a chance Moqui Framework
>> could become a separate ASF project, though the name "Apache Moqui" is oddly
>> contradictory (I chose the name based on Moqui Marbles, but it is also
>> another name for the Hopi tribe). More seriously, these days I like the
>> distributed and moderated approaches used in the Linux kernel more than the
>> community approach mandated by the ASF.
> What would be the problem of it being part of OFBiz in the same way that FOP
> and Batik are part of the XLMGraphics project or Jetspeed is part of the
> Portals project.
> A lot less work than a TLP but still benefiting from Apache.
> Would not have to call of Apache Moqui. It would just be Moqui , part of
> Apache OfBiz

XML Graphics and Portals are both umbrella projects, meant to have
sub-projects, and OFBiz is not. OFBiz could be restructured that way, and
perhaps even have sub-projects without that restructuring sort of like the
Jackrabbit Oak project, but still not sure if it makes sense. On that note: if
a Moqui-based (or Moqui and Mantle based) version of OFBiz were built it might
make sense as a sub-project just like Oak is of Jackrabbit. On a far side note:
Oak looks great but I wish it ran on something other than MongoDB so it could
be embedded for dev and smaller deployments!

The process of becoming a TLP isn't that much of a concern to me. It takes
time, but is worth it to establish a firm foundation for the project going
forward.

The main issues that concern me are the various and changing policies of the
ASF. I have a hard time seeing the point of trademarks for open source
projects, for example. The community model is another concern, I don't like the
structure as much as certain alternatives in the open source world (even if I
used to think it was the best approach, or at least something similar to the
ASF approach). It may be possible to manage a more distributed community and
code base with various fork repositories and feature/issue branches in the
style of git (ie actually using git within the ASF).

During incubation the biggest community risk is _forcing_ a certain number of
committers and PMC members. I don't want to scrape to include people in these
roles as they are vital to the future of the project. I would rather let people
come along, express interest, and thoroughly prove merit before they take on
such a role.

>> As for community, regardless of the structure the various Moqui projects are
>> now in a good place for a bigger community and it is needed for more
>> significant growth in the projects. There are parallels to OFBiz which was
>> mostly two people until around 2004-2005 when the project exploded (we had
>> other contributors before then, but most not so involved or enduring).
>> Jacopo was the first really strong contributor in 2003, and remains to this
>> day! I'm still looking for a "Jacopo" for Moqui... heck, maybe it'll be
>> Jacopo. ;) (No pressure Jacopo: I know you're a busy man and doing fantastic
>> and important work elsewhere including OFBiz, Hotwax, and other projects you
>> contribute to.)
>>
>> As for licensing: the public domain "license" is even less restrictive than
>> the Apache 2 license. The one thing that bothers me about the licensing
>> approach, that I'll freely admit but that I'm not sure how to handle better,
>> is the explicit patent grant that is in the Apache 2 license (which made it
>> incompatible with GPL2, though GPL3 has it too so it is "compatible", ie no
>> additional restrictions). In theory this shouldn't be a legal issue because
>> releasing it as public domain means giving up most IP rights, and there is
>> the prior art aspect of it too, but patent courts these days (at least in
>> the USA) are awful and they don't seem to care about prior art unless you
>> pay a few million USD to lawyers along with substantial court fees to get
>> that recognized. In theory it shouldn't be an issue, not sure if it ever has
>> been even for Apache 2 licensed code, but it could be and in theory the
>> terms in the Apache 2 license make it cheaper to defend against patent
>> claims (again in theory... chances are there would still be significant,
>> possibly bankrupting, legal fees to defend against such).
> Being a part of an Apache project makes it harder to try to steal the IP or
> claim ownership.

Because of the ASF legal fund?