> On 20 Apr 2015, at 23:21, Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Quoting:
>
> We are also prepared to be assertive regarding this situation. If the
> project
> does not move to GIT then Brainfood is willing to participate in a
> consortium of
> organizations that will peer with each other to share updates to the master
> branch for their local OFBiz repository. Such an arrangement will,
> effectively,
> result in a distributed master repository image.
>
> Thanks Ean for the position of *Brainfood* in this position. It comes
> across as 'Do it our way, or else'. You are free to make such statements
> and when followed through there will be consequences. For all participating
> in this project. One I can see standing out clearly is: no more
> participation in/contribution from the employees of Brainfood and from the
> other companies in that consortium back into the project.

That's not at all what I get from Ean's comments. The magic of a
community-driven project is that people can collaborate on anything they want,
within the scope of the main project or as side projects. If the main project
doesn't provide something desired, then it is perfectly appropriate for others
to collaborate on that... better than doing it totally isolated.

What Ean is talking about ties in with the general idea of distributed source
management and distributed development. The general idea is that there may be
many forks of the main source repo, potentially with various branches for
different improvements and changes. These are generally made available
publicly, like public GitHub forks of other public repositories (though with
git they can be hosted anywhere).

Those who make changes can request that particular changes be pulled into
upstream repositories and then those who maintain the upstream repos (or the
main project repo if it bubbles up that high) can review them and pull the
changes if desired. Those who maintain upstream repos can also look around for
useful changes in forked repos and pull them in as desired. Others who run
their own forks can pull in changes from peer repositories too.

It may seem like chaos to have forks and changes spread all over the place...
but that isn't caused by the distributed source management approach, it's just
made visible and clear by the approach. Right now this exists on a large scale
for OFBiz, tons of forks and changes in them, but they are mostly not visible
or publicly available so there is no way for OFBiz committers to pull changes
from other repos... they basically have to be extracted into a patch file and
submitted through a Jira issue.

In other words, the chaos exists and the distributed source management enabled
by git just makes it easier to track it all and tame it a bit.

On a side note, this is one of the reasons I have concerns about making Moqui
and related projects part of the ASF: the ASF community approach doesn't fit
very well with this distributed source management model (pull requests are
discouraged, all contributions should go through Jira issues... though I don't
know that this is a strict policy).

-David