> On 29 Apr 2015, at 00:41, Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
> wrote:
>
> I was rather reluctant about this but after the PoC concept has been
> introduced by several persons and reading  the last exchange between Adam and
> David (where David said <<with the clarification that to me "begin replacing"
> implies a PoC effort in a branch>>) I sort of changed my mind, unlike Nicolas
> I will not vote -1 but 0.
>
> Like him I don't like the idea of plugging Moqui jars in OFBiz. On the other
> hand I understand Moqui is open source and everybody has access once a Github
> account is created hence 0 and not -1. It's still not a +1 because this adds
> extra complexitiy (2 repos, 2 set of tools, how to communicate, etc.) I don't
> like much :/

Moqui Framework IS a separate project, more or less like any other JAR or set
of JARs included in OFBiz. It would always be maintained separately. If you
think of using Moqui as adding another repo, that’s strange… like saying that
OFBiz is currently split across dozens of repositories, one for each other open
source project used in OFBiz.

Also keep in mind that there are other applications, both open source and
commercial, based on Moqui. The ecosystem around Moqui and the applications
around it are what have driven it to the point where it is now, and whether or
not OFBiz uses Moqui all of that will continue.

> David mentioned  <<There is a chance Moqui Framework could become a separate
> ASF project, though the name "Apache Moqui" is oddly contradictory>>  I guess
> still using Git as preferred commit medium (but as said Jacopo with anyway
> Svn as ultimate repo at the ASF). David also said he would prefer  <<the
> distributed and moderated approaches used in the Linux kernel more than the
> community approach mandated by the ASF.>> which I believe was David's main
> concern when he created Moqui.
>
> That's could seem contradictory with ASF policy but remember that each
> project can define its own policy. Personnaly I don't see a problem with
> that, I trust David not wanting to become a benevolent dictator, he many
> times always proved to simply want the best for the OFBiz project. Mixed with
> << I would rather let people come along, express interest, and thoroughly
> prove merit before they take on such a role. >> I understand that a Moqui
> podling would be created without direct connection with OFBiz committers.
>
> It's certainly too early to get conclusions about having 2 separate projects
> working together (in ASF or not), but I can already see some concerns
>
> If we introduce Moqui in OFBiz we can't avoid to speak about the 2 diverging
> ways of doing things at the UI level. Though I have not used Moqui I believe
> it is more flexible for this aspect, but again this add complexity. I know we
> are speaking about that yet, just saying, because if the PoC works it's the
> next step.
>
> Sorry for the long and confusing post, it's hard to explain what I feel
> better.

This is the crux of the discussion for OFBiz: how much of the development
approach driven by the framework do you want to change? Do you want to continue
doing things the same way or look at alternative approaches that might be
better (cleaner application artifacts, easier customization, better security, a
wider variety of tools, more efficient development)?

You mentioned above the community structure as my main reason for creating
Moqui… it is partly true in that it is the reason I chose to do it as a
separate project and not an ASF project. However, the real reason was
continuing to explore some of the principles that went into the design of the
OFBiz Framework and taking them to the next level… including significant
cleanups and modernization that the OFBiz Framework needs badly.

My list of desired changes to OFBiz (after nearly a decade) got more and more
into things that would have required dramatic refactoring and breaking
backwards compatibility in MAJOR ways. After trying a bit within OFBiz it
became obvious that was impossible, and would have been extremely inefficient
in terms of the time required. Doing it as a separate project solved that.

The real question behind this vote is: how do you want to do things in the
future? If it is similar to how things are done in Moqui then it’s there for
you to use. If you like the OFBiz framework tools as they are, then there’s no
reason to even consider it.