apt-get install gradle
yum install gradle
emerge gradle

Let's assume downloading random things that haven't been vetted against one's OS of choice is frowned upon by the powers that be at a particular company. It's a matter of not having to understand each and every single downloadable software package, and assuming that the OS developer can integrate it more properly.

On 05/06/2015 10:19 AM, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:
Hi Adam,

Maybe I do not understand your point exactly, but I find it very trivial to
install gradle with the following steps on _any_ platform:

1) Download the latest binary gradle release from their website. The current
version is 2.4
2) Set $JAVA_HOME to the correct java version on your computer
3) add $GRADLE_HOME/bin to your path
and enjoy!

I hardly see a problem in lack of gradle release as a Debian package. It
definitely exists for Ubuntu and Linux Mint which combined takes most of the
linux users base. Again maybe I missed something in the thread?

Taher Alkhateeb

----- Original Message -----

From: "Adam Heath" <doo...@brainfood.com>
To: dev@ofbiz.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, 6 May, 2015 5:57:56 PM
Subject: Re: survey: what version(s) of gradle are available on your systems?

On 05/06/2015 09:52 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
On May 6, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Adam Heath <doo...@brainfood.com> wrote:

Gradle has to be installed before building ofbiz, so you couldn't use gradle to
install gradle. And I'd prefer not to embed it directly.
The Groovy project has some scripts for this:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/gradlew
To restate, the reason I don't want maven, gradle, or ant embedded into
ofbiz, is that there has been, um, issues, when it comes to using
eclipse, and other tools, that *also* embed ant.

On this same vein, we don't embed the approved version of the jdk into
ofbiz either.

With maven, gradle, and ivy, and more modern systems, the target has
been to move away from embedding dependencies. It's even a best
practice from ASF, as it then reduces the load on mirrors. So, take it
to the logical conclusion, and don't embed the build system either.