On 05/06/2015 10:34 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
On May 6, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Adam Heath <doo...@brainfood.com> wrote:

On 05/06/2015 09:52 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
On May 6, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Adam Heath <doo...@brainfood.com> wrote:

Gradle has to be installed before building ofbiz, so you couldn't use gradle to
install gradle.  And I'd prefer not to embed it directly.
The Groovy project has some scripts for this:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/master/gradlew
To restate, the reason I don't want maven, gradle, or ant embedded into ofbiz,
is that there has been, um, issues, when it comes to using eclipse, and other
tools, that *also* embed ant.

On this same vein, we don't embed the approved version of the jdk into ofbiz
either.

With maven, gradle, and ivy, and more modern systems, the target has been to
move away from embedding dependencies.  It's even a best practice from ASF, as
it then reduces the load on mirrors.  So, take it to the logical conclusion,
and don't embed the build system either.
Groovy doesn't embed gradle, this is the reason I was pointing you to that
example.

Here are the notes from Groovy:

At the top directory of your unpacked source, you need to run the command:
     gradle
This sets up the Gradle wrapper and from then on you just need the `gradlew`
command instead of `gradle`.

That's bad too. So when the embedded script/docs in the checkout become invalid, due to the external location having been changed(aka, a project has to move away from codehaus, because they are out of money), then all previous versions that have already shipped will no longer work.

These kind of docs should be listed separate along side the actual download/checkout process.