I read recently that the infra team, which uses HipChat a lot for valuable reasons, was questioned about that by the board, because HipChat is delivered by Atlassian (only the free, minor version) and history is a concern.

Sorry, I incorrectly stated that the Board questioned this usage, but in fact
it is only individuals board members.

I must say I also faced this issue recently when the OFBiz room was removed w/o
prior warning. I was then unable to recall the history.

I just checked, as long as the room is alive the history is "reasonably"
limited to 25 000 messages https://www.hipchat.com/pricing
Still not unlimited which can concerns people like me who like to have an
unlimited history.