IMHO having yet another checkbox where the user can decide to enable or
disable AEC can be only an additional thing on top of a general system wide
configuration.

The problem with this is for example that the average user does not even
know what AEC means.
Or what is the difference between hardware echo cancellation and software
echo cancellation ?!
So what would be the benefit for him in having a checkbox tagged "enabled
AEC" ?

One of the concerns people have against OpenMeetings is its complexity.
They just want to conference and not bother around with a lot of options.

I would also not disable the AEC feature by default as long as there is no
concrete use-case where AEC (or enhancedMicro mode) leads to an issue.

Same for h264. There was a discussion that included h264 a couple of weeks
ago:
http://markmail.org/message/fctg6eo5qf5hhcaa

The consens was:
 - The amount of CPU that our clients needed more was not measurable.
 - There is no concrete use case where enabling or disabling h264 would
improve anything
I agree that having a config for the Video codec, same as the Microphone
Mode, would be nice.
But changing any defaults now back and forth without concrete use cases and
some kind of test plan does not make a lot of sense to me.

So what I would propose is:
 - Make Microphone and VideoCodec configurable and documentate this
 - Set up a concrete test plan and communicate that through our mailing
lists.
Based on the feedback we might then discuss changing some defaults.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock