It has nothing to do with whether anything from the Symphony donation is ever
released in AOO.  The code has been donated and it should have its IP cleaned
up.  Also, the history is not needed.  It is simply the headers and notices on
the code as donated that is a problem.  There are simple rules for how donated
code is cleaned up.  It should be done.  That becomes the start of history as
far as ASF is concerned.

If anyone is making derivatives from that code already, including for AOO 3.5,
who is cleaning up the headers?  Cherry picking that code and creating patches
elsewhere is not tidy.  I assume you don't mean that.  It is important to honor
notices present on code until someone with the authority to do so
removes/replaces those notices.

It is simply cleaner (and legally meticulous) to clean up the code in the
Symphony folder of SVN.  Then anyone can do whatever they want, whether by
cherry-picking, merging, testing and fixing, putting in branches for further
work, etc.

Meanwhile this has been sitting in a public SVN for months with notices that
are toxic for those of us who consider it inappropriate to mess with [L]GPL
code and especially files in that code with IBM closed-source proprietary
notices on them.

 - Dennis

PS: It was great to see your smiling face in the photos posted form ApacheCon
EU.