All that is required to clean up the headers is to have some sort of official
permission from IBM to ASF that allows it to be done.  That or an IBM-employed
committer needs to be identified as authorized to do it. The basic requirement
is under "Source File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" at
<http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html> (A lengthy treatment is at
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-ip-clearance>).

The process is simple:

  "If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it,
   the copyright owner (or owner's agent) must either:
      "1.remove such notices, or
      "2.move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable
       project release, or
      "3.provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal
       or relocation of the notices."

Andrew Rist provided this for the Oracle contribution.  I don't understand the
hold-up for the IBM contribution.

Also, this sort of thing is expected to be handled during incubation.  The
specific statement is that "It is recommended that the initial clean-up be is
started before the code is committed. It MUST be completed before any releases
are cut."

So there is flexibility so long as no code appears in releases, but as you
point out, code is leaking from the Symphony base into releases "under the
table."  That is not healthy.

 - Dennis