+1 - covers the bases.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus (OOo) [mailto:marcus.m...@wtnet.de]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 12:39
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: An idea: Add option to delete profile when uninstalling

Am 02/01/2013 01:19 PM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 07:09:24 -0500
> Rob Weir<robw...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> As I've been reviewing the backlog of defect reports submitted by
>> users I notice a lot of them that are probably caused by the upgrade
>> profile corruption bug.   I see reports of this on Twitter and
>> Facebook as well.   Most users seem smart enough to uninstall and
>> reinstall.  They've learned that from other programs. It is pretty
>> much the standard solution to crash problems -- uninstall and
>> reinstall and you'll be fine.
>>
>> But in our case, that doesn't fix anything, since the profile is not
>> removed when we uninstall.
>>
>> What if we added an option to delete the profile when uninstalling?
>> I've seen many programs that do that.  It could be a page that says,
>> "Delete application profile and settings?"  Default could be No, the
>> same behavior we have today.  But this would give a far easier way for
>> users to recover from profile corruption.
>>
> I think it might be better to rename the old profile to .BAK (or
something) even if the User believes it to have been deleted; that way,
custom dictionaries etc will be preserved and can be recovered.  It can
happen that a long time user of OpenOffice can have customisation, but is
not a technically informed user.

So, instead of a checkbox like:

Delete the user profile?
[ yes | no ]

I think we should both on the same wizard page:

What to do with your remaining user profile?
[ Delete | Rename | Leave as it is ]

However, a big +1 for the possibility to delete also the user profile
while uninstallation.

Marcus