On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:
> On 2/4/13, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> We have just completed the last optimization of wiki.o.o, which means
>>> that
>>> it has entered maintenance mode.
>>>
>>> There is one outstanding bugzilla issue, which will be implemented if we
>>> can find a supported solution.
>>>
>>> Now would be a good time to think about the other things we have
>>> discussed
>>> earlier:
>>> - Move cwiki to mwiki.
>>>    this has been discussed/decided earlier, but might need a positive
>>> decision.
>>>    I for one find it very confusing to look in 2 wikis for the same
>>> information (e.g. build instructions)
>>> - Mark outdated paged with category outdated, and symbol on page
>>>   A lot of the information in wiki is outdated and superseeded by new
>>> pages, its hard to find the correct info.
>>>   If outpdated paged had the category "outdated" it would be easy to
>>> change
>>> search to excluded these
>>> - Put categories on all pages, and structure the pages
>>>   Due to the very limited maintenance the page structure and catagory
>>> usage
>>> seems very random.
>>>

>> I agree with your appraisal of the current problems.   The tricky part
>> of this problem is that we have a small number of old pages that are
>> useful, and a larger numbers that are not really useful anymore.  Even
>
> I dobt this is true. There is a lot of content that iss very useful,
> AOO in its core is not really changed and most of the content still
> applies. So I would say that almost 60% of the wiki info still applies
> now.

I was talking about the wiki + website.  There is a lot there about
old project organizational structures that are not relevant any more.
And even if 60% is still valid, that is still an enormous number of
pages that are not relevant any more.  What can we do to increase the
signal/noise ratio.

Here is a challenge for anyone:  Starting from the home page, what is
the minimum number of clicks you can make before you come to a page
that is full of outdated, wrong information?

I can see dozens of wrong pages that are two clicks away from the home page.

-Rob