On 22.03.2013 08:30, Hagar Delest wrote:
Le 22/03/2013 07:10, Juergen Schmidt a écrit :
currently work is ongoing to integrate the gallery. The navigator and stylist should be also integrated. But there are of course questions how exactly. Some users might prefer to have both visible and docked, how would it be in the sidebar? We have to figure out what is best and what works best. We can probably do not everything for 4.0 but it's good to collect feedback and ideas. The currently floating table toolbar is also a candidate for integration in the sidebar. Volunteers are welcome to help ;-) Long term it would be perfect if users can configure the content of the decks similar to toolbars today. But all this is a lot of work and has to be done. We need much more core basics like a working layout engine etc. We will see how our users will accept the sidebar in general and it is only the beginning. I personally like the sidebar and believe it will be a really huge step forward to increase the usability.

What I like about the sidebar:
- The button that opens the properties of the main dialog (avoid right click to access character/paragraph properties for example) - Better screen real estate for wide screens (something a bit like The Gimp) - Could be the possibility to remove the default formatting toolbar at the top (to increase space for the document)
- The possibility to reduce each section of the Sidebar
- Increase/Decrease font buttons will please a lot of users!

Not sure the page settings should be included: they are not that often accessed (but well, that section can be reduced) About integration of the Navigator (and Stylist): I use them a lot and the Navigator is THE panel that I would not like to be hidden in any way. All users working with long documents really need it visible just all the time. Even an extra click to switch to it would be cumbersome.

There are no concrete plans to disable the standalone versions of navigator and other dialogs that are to be included in the sidebar. Once the sidebar is released, we as a community, will have to decide on how to go on. Also, the feature set of the sidebar is not fixed for all times. One possible improvement could be to make decks and panels able to detach from the sidebar window: plug the navigator inside the sidebar if you want or plug it side-by-side with the sidebar, both visible at the same time.

Maybe we (I) should start a new section on the Sidebar wiki page for possible future enhancements?

-Andre

NB: a drop-down list in the Text/Paragraph sections could be added to select the Character/Paragraph styles. Vertical spacing of the buttons seems rather large but I guess it will be part of the fine tuning.

I just noticed that mouse wheel on the Sidebar scrolls the document and not the Sidebar.

Just my feedback based on my personal use of Writer.

Hagar