Your questions are great!

Kibitzing ...

BROAD CONSIDERATIONS

If the CMIS repository supplies MIME type as an attribute, it would be useful
to (tentatively) rely on that, especially for directory presentation.  The
ultimate confirmation, for ODF documents, will be with the "magic numbers" at
the beginning of the file when it is retrieved for opening within Apache
OpenOffice.

The UCB basically expects to view Document Management systems as if they are
(hierarchical) file systems, with presentation akin to a file-system explorer.
There may be all manner of documents.  Opening of an ODF-format document (or
any document type that Apache OpenOffice can import) should probably happen in
Apache OpenOffice (although, one could limit this or have user control on
this).  One could also limit this by relying on the local platform's file
associations.  Some DMS-integration schemes will allow opening in other
applications when the document is not for the application that is providing
access to the DMS. (The other application needs to be known to handle
integration with the DMS because of any check-out/-in coordination and
authentication that may be required.)

The added complexity will have to do with login requirements of the repository,
with check-out and check-in and also with versioning.  There may be repository
property sheets that may or may not be (partially) editable.

This will also impact "recent documents" in Apache OpenOffice (and the
operating-system) and whether or not re-opening via those paths work.

NARROWING THE CONSIDERATIONS

I think there is too much in the above for a first-pass via GSoC.  It would
probably be better to make a proof-of-concept/reference implementation that
works with basic CMIS capabilities.  A good challenge will be how to fail
gracefully for cases that are not covered and for failures that occur.

There is probably only so much that can be done via XContentProvider, and
you'll want to minimize (or avoid altogether) creation of dialogs that come up
from the CMIS adapter itself.

Perhaps a key consideration is the cycle of how documents that are opened via
the UCP are moved to the client file system and updates moved back to the
repository.  These will not have any encryption done at the repository.  I'm
not sure how integration with Save and Save As ... works via UCB, and also when
the application is closing or has recovered after a crash.  Some simple
resilient approach that can be expanded on later might be good there.

 - Dennis