On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Donald Whytock <dwhyt...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> > Am 07/04/2013 11:05 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

> http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/localized/es/3.4

> <http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/es/3.4.1/>

> > No, up to today there were really just very few complains about downloads
> > that do not work due to network restrictions of companies or ISPs.
> >
> > But ...
> >

> >  Well, we can certainly think about it now. Marcus is really the lead in
> >> this. Maybe it would be as simple as changing the description of the
> >> alternate link from:
> >>
> >> *Get all platforms, languages, language packs*

> >> *Problems downloading? Get all platforms, languages, language packs.*
> >>

> >> and offer
> >>
> >> http://www.apache.org/dist<htt**p://www.apache.org/dist/**
> >> incubator/ooo/files/localized/**es/3.4.1/<
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/es/3.4.1/>
> >> >

> >> as another alternative...somewhere
> >>

> > ... yes, somewhere else is good because the green box is already full
> > enough of additional links, of course IMHO. :-)
> >
> > I could think of a section on the "other.html" webpage:
> >
> > - Another entry in the TOC
> > - Some text and link to the Apache server below the tables
> > - Additionally a link on the main download webpage,
> >  in link bar on the right

I would definitely put a section in "other.html" rather than trying to add
more to the green DL box. Hopefully this kind of situation won't happen
often.

> >  It's good that you sent this. I for one had forgotten that we need to
> >> change this link off "incubator" for 4.0. It needs to be added to our
> 4.0
> >> tasks.
> >>

> > Too late ;-) , it's already gone as we can see with the current snapshot
> > builds.

ah! OK, I hadn't checked lately.

> > Marcus
> >

> The set of Apache mirrors offers different domains and domain types, some
> of which might be more easily reached through restrictive firewalls.  At my
> company I'm able to download from SourceForge but some other
> open/public/shareware/freeware sites are blocked.  Plus, some businesses
> are blocked but university domains are generally reachable.  So, yes,
> getting on the Apache mirrors might make AOO more accessible for
> downloading.
>
> Don

I think just providing the "standard" Apache DL page options is good enough
for these cases, which hopefully are few. If one mirrror doesn't work, they
can try another.

MzK

"If you stick with a vision, it might not all work,
 but some of it will be absolute genius."
                                           -- Kim Cattrall