There was a bug when LO released the first version which collide with older
openoffice applications, they fix that on some versions ahead.
OpenOffice.org version by then was 3.4 RC which never really got released
officially. So I guess it will has to do with the LO version as well. LO
first version 3.4 as well.
There are specific documentation to run it on parallel with those versions.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor