On 9/6/2013 4:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
<snip>
Another angle is to realize that enabling the user and motivating them in a specific direction is more powerful than trying to steer them away from a specific direction. Maybe the problem is we are not making the support forums sound attractive enough? Maybe if we said something like, "For the fastest and most expert response, post your question to...."? Make the forums sound like the most attractive option. We know they are the best place for questions, of course. But we ought to describe it equally attractively. -Rob

Perhaps this is a situation of people who are more comfortable with email as a tool as opposed to a forum. If you are not familiar with forums in general, our forum can be pretty daunting to navigate - there's a lot of info there.

Do we have a way of bridging the two? Is there a way to have an email address (e.g. forum_questi...@openoffice.org) that autoposts to a catch all forum topic. Then after the post was triaged, the poster would be autosubscribed for replies? I have no idea if something like this is possible, but it could provide both a bridge to introduce these users to the forum, and a mechanism to provide for feedback without having dev become help.

A.

<more snip>