On 2013-10-10, at 15:21 , Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> But from the perspective of ODF editors, Microsoft has pretty good ODF
> support now as well, so the true number of ODF editor installs is
> probably near 1 billion now.

And would therefore would not be crazy to think that there be money in those
numbers: support, services, and the like. In the days of OOo, the money was
hard to get: large installations also tended to provide their own support. But
there numbers are even larger, much larger, now; then, the most optimistic
accounts gave us about 100M and I was pretty skeptical.

I'm not skeptical now.

So, I know that Lanedo is offering paid support for LO installs; "support" is a
term of art, and it pays little. Better money is to be made with other services
and also with certifications.

But even aside from that, the numbers speak to the fact that those enterprises,
public, private, what have you, previously vacillating, ought now to dive in.
Even if the vast bulk of ODF editors are not, in fact, open, nevertheless, the
option of an open suite that is very usable and which has a significant user
base, as well as being backed by a, well, behemoth—I mean IBM—ought to reassure
the nervous nellies who would previously never have considered anything besides
MSFT.

What we need now then is a good mobile (tablet) editor. I'm working with
someone doing one for iOS. Android is quite possible. But we need resources for
that.

(And I mean, of course, a native client.)

louis