On 10 October 2013 21:21, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> This is impressive. Add these numbers to those also generated by
>>> LibreOffice and other versions of OpenOffice, and we can start thinking
>>> again of a seriously large installed base of ODF editors, most of which are
>>> open source.
>>
>> Indeed very impressive. Do we have any ideas how the other openoffice
>> versions are doing in terms of download ? if they publish their
>> numbers we could think about a blog post telling about the total
>> number, that must be impressive.
>>

> Some of them did publish download numbers, but stopped doing so after
> AOO 3.4.0 was released and we started publishing our numbers.
>
> But it is hard to come up with apples-to-apples comparisons.  For
> example, Linux users get LO with their distro.  They don't download.
> LO has been available for 3 years, but AOO for only 18 months.  We're
> counting only full installs, LO is counting -- well, we really don't
> know.   The products have different update cycles, so it is hard to
> convert downloads into users. (If you have many small releases then
> each user will generate several downloads).  Differences like this
> make it hard to compare the two.
>
> But one approach is to look at Windows downloads from 3rd party
> websites, like download.com.  This avoids all of the above problems.
> If you look there you see that in the last week AOO has been
> downloaded 21,850 times, and LibreOffice 2,664 times.
>
> But from the perspective of ODF editors, Microsoft has pretty good ODF
> support now as well, so the true number of ODF editor installs is
> probably near 1 billion now.

Please bear in mind I was not trying to battle LO and AOO who has the
most downloads. I was simply asking if we can come up with a somewhat
reliable figure how many have downloaded a free "office" version
against how many have paid for the version.

I am still thinking about the issue about saving money, which I think
is high on many goverment/departmental lists right now. Something we
can use to make a slight push in direction of free software
independent of branding.

rgds
jan I.