On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM, janI <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 22 October 2013 16:41, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> > <orwittm...@googlemail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> I care, but only as a user of our Bugzilla instance being frustrated
> when
> >> I need Bugzilla in the morning (European time zone).
> >>
> >> It seems that we need to involve ASF Infra as I do not believe that this
> >> scheduled outage every day is controlled by us.
> >>

> > Just checked, there are no outstanding issues with aoo-bz, except its
> very
> > slow because it has not yet had the db moved. The "scheduled outage" is
> > unknown, but could be the backup which runs very early morning (europe
> > time).
> >
> > rgds
> > jan I.
> >
> > Ps. once again it was suggested that we move to jira.
> >

> So for argument's sake, and speaking purely hypothetically, what are
> the pros and cons of moving to JIRA?  It is worth at least discussing
> whether this would be something worth looking into.
>

> ==Con==
>
> 1. Assume migration of new bugs would be imperfect.  But maybe not so
> bad.  We have many attachments, comments, etc., but the comments are
> all plain text, not rich text.
>
> 2. New tool to learn for volunteers.  But many of us know JIRA also.
>
> 3. Would require some time to migrate, from Infra and from BZ admins
>
> 4. ???
>
> ==Pro==
>
> 1. Performance/stability?   I assume that is why Infra was suggesting this?
>
> 2. Agile features that help with release planning
>
> 3. Anything else ???
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

This is neither a pro nor a con, just a comment.

We make use of saved searches and can make them public -- I did a quick
look at the ref for Jira and I can't tell how Jira's mechanisms  work in
this fashion.

I have used both also, but did not do  anything very sophisticated with
Jira in the past.

MzK

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
 Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
                          -- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax