On 01/12/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
It is natural that private or public entities considering a migration will
have their established consultants and ask them. But we should have enough
"official" information available to anybody who is considering a migration.
So the fact that migrations are occurring without contacting the
project is a positive sign that the publicly available information, on
the website and wiki, is sufficient, yes?

Interesting interpretation! Well, maybe it's true, but then I wonder why I still see the occasional blog post or technology news assuming that OpenOffice is dead.

But you may be right: indeed, if one makes the small effort to open the official home page (search engines lead you to obsolete pages at times for specific queries, but the homepage is OK) it's very clear to see that OpenOffice is quite active.

So I wonder if the reason could be that these bloggers/experts do not even search for information. In that case, I don't think we can do much more.

Small open source conferences can be
fun, I'm sure.  But are we really introducing OpenOffice to new
people?  Or are we "preaching to the choir"?   Is this really the way
to reach the 70% of computer users who have never heard of OpenOffice?

I'm more interested in decision makers, at any level. For sure attending local events won't spread awareness, but we have other channels for that. But a small migration to OpenOffice is often done following word of mouth, and influencers are often Linux users who have seen OpenOffice disappear. I would like them to be properly informed.

Getting OpenOffice back into distributions would be good to that aim. Unfortunately, policy is rather complex and is the main obstacle (meaning that a lot of work is needed and that our resources are currently focused elsewhere).

Regards,
  Andrea.