On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 30-Nov-2013, at 16:06, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
> wrote:

> >> Well, I also saw this:
> >> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=62425 (South
> >> Tyrol government to standardise on LibreOffice) and especially the quote
> >> from last post: "We opted for LibreOffice over OpenOffice because we
> think
> >> this gives us more guarantees. It has a more consistent and constantly
> >> growing community of developers and by statute has to be independent
> from
> >> corporations," Pfeifer said.
> >>

> > 7000 desktops?  Really?  We get more than that many downloads every
> > *hour*, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (on average).  Just because
> > our users are anonymous does not make them any less relevant.
>
> Quite.
> >
> >> LibO is getting more and more momentum (French referential uses LibO
> too,
> >> something that will be implemented in more and more institutions). I
> wonder
> >> why AOO doesn't report similar successes.
> >>

> > South Tyrol has been migration to OpenOffice for nearly a decade now.
> > I remember seeing them give a presentation on this at the Orvietto
> > OpenOffice.org conference, for example.  Hopefully one of these years
> > they will complete this task.  But this is hardly news.
> >

> Indeed. In fact, their effort has gone in cycles, and those cycles seem to
> me related to the job tenacity of a few. Of more interest, as it relates to
> actualities, would be Munich's migration but also other cities' in Italy.
>

> >> Are we lacking marketing power? Or key people?
> >>

> > It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  Any one migrating to
> > a free office suite as part of a migration to Linux will either take
> > LibreOffice or Calligra.  If we want to give them the easy choice of
> > AOO as well then we need to get AOO packages for the distros.
> > Personally I don't think the Linux desktop is worth the effort.  That
> > is my personal view, and I don't force it on anyone else, but that's
> > my honest opinion.
>
> I agree with Rob.

but...as a Linux person, this is somewhat sad for me -- although I
personally have NO problems with installation. This said, the ease of
installation on Linux seems to depend a lot on how easy your distro makes
installing non-repo packages. My major concern at this point in the
continuation of Linux packaging for AOO in some form.

> I also tend to think that even for something like AOO, mobile is on the
> horizon and needs to be embraced. Not all modules of the suite will do well
> in mobile—I don't relish the idea of doing spreadsheets, for instance, on a
> tablet. But I also don't relish the idea of doing spreadsheets on anything.
>

> I also don't cotton to the idea of porting AOO straight to Android or iOS.
> I prefer the idea of developing native ODT editors.
>
> But mobile is an inescapable object in our present's future.

Agreed.