Hagar Delest wrote:
Why not a mailing list as long as it is private.
If you find someone to explain how it would work and to implement it, no
problem.

A private list works exactly like the PMC private list (discussion list; posts from external people are moderated; moderation happens via e-mail). Maybe it is possible to create an "open" mailing list where all posts immediately reach the list with no moderation.

You need:
- an @openoffice.apache.org address for the list (is ooo-forum-en-serv...@apache.org a proposal for an address? or something else, already existing?)
- the Apache accounts of two moderators (who also manage subscriptions)

Just give these details here, and then we can wait for consensus and open the JIRA issue for Infra to create the list.

The problem is that all the volunteers who dealt with the technical
issues linked to ASF have quit. Strange, isn't it?

It is explained by the fact that on one side we don't want to put the bar so high that it would exclude people from helping, but on the other one we receive pressure from Infra (and I believe it's right) to have a more "professional" approach to maintenance.

So basically so far we've lived on short-term assignments, but we are working on defining rules between the PMC and Infra that will guarantee a professional maintenance, more stability and a framework for established volunteers to get more involved.

To be honest, I'm starting to believe that the adaptation is only one
way and that some people are not that happy to deal with a forum.

The forum is an important asset. It is just difficult to deal with from a management point of view, since it is not a technology commonly used at Apache.

phpBB is not up to date, the download icon has not been changed yet
and of course, there is no automated mailbox reply.

I'd love to change some of this. I have access to the forum VM, but it is limited to restarting services; I can't even update the download icon. And you are correct in saying that it is frustrating to see that pending, approved changes are not applied. I hope we can move to a more efficient maintenance model at the beginning of 2014.

Regards,
  Andrea.