On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Sheran Corera <sherancor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Re-posting to dev-list from documentation.
>
> Hi All,
>
> Going through the Open Office documentation, I noticed the huge effort
> taken on content creation and maintenance in each of the different
> Wikis<http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/> and
> a separate effort to certify users via the certification
> project<http://www.openoffice.org/certification/> (which
> is really great!).
>
> At LayUp <http://www.getlayup.com/?source=oa>, we're working on building
> something similar (a gamified, retention oriented training and
> certification platform targeted entirely at software products) and we would
> like to help take the online certification aspect to the next level and
> setup a live demo.
>
> I've setup an online demo of what such a system could look like for Open
> Office
>
> URL - *Open Office Demo - LayUP
> <http://www.getlayup.com/layup/index.php?site=demo2>*
>
> The login credentials for *user *and *admin *are as follows -
>
> *Username* - user
> *Password *- demo
>
> *Username *- admin
> *Password *- demo
>
> We've taken a lot of effort into setting this up, so instead of just
> spamming it, we would appreciate if someone can have a look and guide us on
> how we can take this forward.

I took a quick look.  I like the platform, nice and clear, easy to
use.  I think new users would like this.

>From a learning perspective it might be worth having an install
module.  This would be platform-specific (Windows install differs from
Mac which differs from Linux).  But we do receive a good deal of
support questions related to install, so this might be an area worth
covering.

I don't know if your platform allows it, but it would be great if
there was a way to take an initial test and based on test results be
placed into a higher rank automatically, rather than having everyone
start at the same initial level.  That way it could be interesting for
skill building of users who know a little, as well as absolute
beginners.

You'll need to give some attention to the trademark issues involved
here as well.  You currently have it called "Apache OpenOffice Academy
by Layup".  That name, plus the use of the Apache OpenOffice logo,
suggests a certain relationship between the website and the OpenOffice
project which could confuse users.  You can read more about our
trademark policy here:

http://openoffice.apache.org/trademarks.html

Note:  the speed for me was perfect.  No issues.  I'm near Boston.
Jan is in Spain.  I wonder whether that could be part of the issue?

Regards,

-Rob