On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Steve Johnson <steve.spoth...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I downloaded openoffice a few years ago and only use it occasionally.
> Each time I use it I am prompted to register it. But when I try, it says it
> needs to be done in a JRE environment.  I have not a clue what that means.
> Would you please explain that for me?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Hi Steve,
   The registration process is no longer active, so you can just ignore
that. A JRE is a Java Runtime Environment, which is available from
Java.com. It is needed to run a few of the features of OpenOffice. However,
if you haven't run into any other problems, you don't seem to need it. Your
older version of OpenOffice requires and old version of the JRE and I don't
recommend going through the trouble without a reason.
You should consider  getting a more recent version of OpenOffice from
www.openoffice.org. That download process will redirect you to SourceForge
and the download will start automatically. There is no need to click on
anything at SourceForge.
Best regards,
Francis