There is always activities for all levels, from doing templates and
contribute to our database:
http://templates.openoffice.org/

I have mentor kids that sign up for Google Code-In which is a program
for high school kids and google with open source software:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/

Not sure if OpenOffice will participate this year but we have
participate in the past and is a good way to contribute and get
instant recognition and prices.