On 08/12/14 20:15, jan i wrote:
> On 8 December 2014 at 19:50, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 19:37:41 +0100
>> Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

>> make a
>> 32-bit

>>>  > overlook the need for 32 bit versions of OO. We should not lose sight
>>>  > of the need for such versions - it as a way of introducing people
>>>  > using older machines.  Most of the older people I know (mostly 65+,
>>>  > retired) are using 32 bit machines, often handed down from their
>>>  > children.
>>>
>>> right, but do you really mean - or have heard/read - that they get Linux
>>> machines from their children? I think it will be still Windows - and
>>> here 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter.
>>>
>>> But anyway, yes we still need 32-bit binaries for Linux.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>
>> When I am asked I guide them to 32 bit linux to help older computers work
>> well. If we drop 32 bit for linux, we effectively abandon that area to
>> LibO; we have enough of an uphill fight regaining users from the inbuilt
>> installation of LibO on the distros as it is.  We shouldn't abandon that
>> area.
>>

> I dont follow the notion of "abandon that area", we have never had a 32bit
> centOS buildbot or for that matter a 64bit, so we are not abandoning
> anything, we are instead expanding.
>
> I dont know if we made releases available on centOS earlier, but for sure
> we did not do it with ASF buildbot.

sure all our past releases were built on Centos machines (32 and 64
bit). This was discussed very often and the reason is that we need a
certain baseline that our binaries run on as much as possible distros.
You know we are not in the comfortable situation that the distros built
AOO specific for their baseline and include it by default.

The ASF build bots are running on Linux systems that are simply to new.
Another option would be to increase the baseline and drop 32 bit Linux
completely. This would reduce the effort enormous but I am not sure it
is what we want.

This baseline discussion might be difficult to understand for ASF infra
people who are building everything from scratch. But the OpenOffice
users are different and expecting simply a binary that they can install
and use.

Juergen