On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:30 AM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 8 December 2014 at 20:15, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > On 8 December 2014 at 19:50, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:

> we
> >> make a
> >> 32-bit

> sight

> Linux

> >> When I am asked I guide them to 32 bit linux to help older computers
> work
> >> well. If we drop 32 bit for linux, we effectively abandon that area to
> >> LibO; we have enough of an uphill fight regaining users from the inbuilt
> >> installation of LibO on the distros as it is.  We shouldn't abandon that
> >> area.
> >>

> > I dont follow the notion of "abandon that area", we have never had a
> 32bit
> > centOS buildbot or for that matter a 64bit, so we are not abandoning
> > anything, we are instead expanding.
> >
> > I dont know if we made releases available on centOS earlier, but for sure
> > we did not do it with ASF buildbot.
> >
> > rgds
> > jan i
> >

> And a addon to the general discussion, if I may bring it down to something
> we can handle again.
>
> We can wish anything (especially around christmas), but fact is:
> - We have tried to change the ASF buildbots used, to generate releases (the
> configure options are set differently) for as long as we have been a TLP.

I didn't realize the config options were different. OK, good to know. I
thought the config options used for the buildbots were the defaults for
some reason. Ok, we need to double check this with Juergen who has been
spinning the distributed binaries.

> - We have had a MAC buildbot for several month now, and its still not
> production
> - Last time (about 6month ago) when infra (in person me) rolled a centOS vm
> for buildbot, the interest was less the time it cost to write a mail so in
> fact it was abendoned.
> - There are no (and as far as I can see have been no) jira for a 32bit
> centOS.

please see jira ticket -- 6217

This was originally for 32-bit

So ????

- Currently we have no release manager, and as far as I know nobody have
> asked to become a release manager.
>
> So may I politely ask, what have changed, that we now believe this will all
> go away, and we can have it all solved in a short time ?
>
> To me the above points are months of work, until tested and stable, and
> considering we havent even started, I think it is fair to ask, do we really
> want to wait until this magically happens ?

I agree completely with this assessment.

What are the alternatives to not waiting? I don't see that we have any
currently.

> Sorry for being very direct (its my danish style), but we need to get
> things moving instead of just dreaming...so who will take care of which of
> the above points ?
>
> I will make sure (with my infra hat on), that when the centOS (64bit) is
> needed, (meaning somebody will actually care for it, after having cared for
> the MAC buildbot, which Infra spent money on), then it will be there.

Super! We need this!