On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13 February 2015 at 18:13, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:43 AM, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > We have now for a while had a readonly Git copy of our svn repo.
> > >
> > > Should we move to a full git repo, making it easier for new developers
> > > participate (although it is in no way a guarantee, that it will attract
> > new
> > > people) by lowering the barrier.
> > >
> > > For more documentation on Git at Apache see
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/
> > >
> > > Moving to a full git repo (see http://git.apache.org/), would mean
> > giving
> > > up our current SVN repo, but history etc. will be available in Git
> > instead.
> > >
> > > The choice is there, and it is just a matter of how people want to
> work.
> > >
> > > thoughts ?
> > >
> > > rgds
> > > jan I.
> > >

> > I'm not sure I understand the comment about making things easier but then
> > I'm not a git user currently. I'm good with svn.
> > I know we have read only git right now.
> >

> I did not mean for you and me, and others who are used to svn...using GIT
> might make it just a little bit easier for new developers.
>
> I have no strong feelings for the one or other solution, I am simply seeing
> it as a possibility to lower the level required to help.
>
> rgds
> jan I.

I'm just curious  about these statements. Have potential new developers
remarked on this to you?
Since most IDEs support a variety of version control mechanisms, I'm
wondering how the suggestion to switch to git might have emerged. But,
again, I have never used git and it might be the coolest thing ever -- I
have NO idea! :)