On 16/02/2015 Kay Schenk wrote:
again, I have never used git and it might be the coolest thing ever

It does have a reputation for being cool. This is justified in many cases, less justified in others. I know some developers who refuse to work with SVN in principle; true, maybe they would be perfectly comfortable with git-svn or even with a recent version of SVN; but relying on SVN is a factor that may scare new developers away. That said, before moving we should ensure that those who work on the code are happy: new developers can perfectly use git already now to checkout the code and to submit patches.

Regards,
  Andrea.