> On 16 Sep 15, at 17:27, Rob Weir <r...@robweir.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Rob Weir <r...@robweir.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Time, gentlemen, time.
>>>
>>> We're far across the ad hominem boundary and it is time to let this thread
>>> go night-night.
>>>
>>> Whatever is thought of about what happens on Wikipedia, it is not ASF and
>>> AOO business.  We have our own business to attend to.  If folks want to
>>> keep fussing about it, there are many better places to do that than here on
>>> dev@.
>>>

>> Ad hominem?  Excuse me?   The web page has a record of Wikipedia
>> abuses attributed to Mr. Gerard and cites several cases where he was
>> sanction for it.   One can talk about his actions without slurring his
>> person, especially when such acts are directly relevant to the topic
>> of this thread.
>>

> Last word, in case the inference is unclear.   We're dealing with a
> sophisticated serial infringer on Wikipedia.  Correcting erroneous
> information, which is proper to do, is unlikely to be achieved via an
> edit war.  Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.   Any progress would
> only be made by showing Mr. Gerard's own conflict  and his bad will
> (not hard to do),  and escalating it within the the formal Wikipedia
> appeals process, patiently dealing with the ministerial types to whom
> bureaucratic process is dear.  Since Dennis does not want to discuss
> this on the list, feel free to contact me offline if anyone wishes to
> discuss this further.
>
> -Rob

But Dennis does not control the lists, just as King Canute did not control the
waves. :-/

Rob, your points are good; I was being too facetious, stunned by the attitude
of Mr Gerard. Clearly, unless we are reading him wrongly, he would seem more
likely to stick to his position, regardless of reason and logic, than accept
the ignominy of somebody else being right.

louis