I had to correct an error in the <name> comment below

On 11/28/2015 04:04 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your input, my comments inline.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for taking this on.

Some observations/questions inline.

  - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Marcum [mailto:cmar...@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2015 06:35
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Example of POM file for Submission of Java UNO jars
to Apache Nexus repository

Hi All,

I'm finally getting a chance to work on the Maven packaging for the Java
UNO jar files.  As part of this effort we need to submit a POM xml file
with org information.
Please review the sample below and let me know if you agree before I
bundle and load them to the staging area of the repository and call for
a vote.
The requirements are listed here [1] and the OpenOffice.org wiki page
for the 3.2.1 files are here [2]. This is the page I plan on updating
with new procedures.

This example is for the ridl.jar file. In particular groupId, url,
license, scm, and developer.
Developer is now required so I put myself there as I don't know who is.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>org.apache.openoffice</groupId>
    <artifactId>ridl</artifactId>
    <version>4.1.2</version>
    <packaging>jar</packaging>
    <name>Java Runtime Interface Definition Library</name>
<description>The type library and the precompiled Java interfaces of
the UDK API.</description>
    <url>http://openoffice.apache.org</url>
[orcmid]

I think a more-specific URL is needed to line up with the Artifact. The use of openoffice.apache.org seems too high-level (and is not openoffice.org better, although not the group name?). Is it useful to have more context in the <name> of the project artifact? Is this part of UDK? I think the question to ask is, what are we helping someone to find.
[cmarcum]

The 3.2.1 jars used http://udk.openoffice.org for the URL which now resolves to http://www.openoffice.org/udk so I can use that instead.

[cmarcum] correction
The name was copied from previous 3.2.1 release to maven during OpenOffice.org and the <description> tag also.
What are you thinking of adding?

The groupId which has been 'org.openoffice' previously.
Would it be better to keep it that way or if org.apache.openoffice is to high level we could make it 'org.apache.openoffice.udk'?

<http://udk.openoffice.org>

    <licenses>
      <license>
        <name>The Apache License, Version 2.0</name>
<url>http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt</url>
      </license>
    </licenses>
    <developers>
      <developer>
        <name>Carl Marcum</name>
        <email>cmar...@apache.org</email>
        <organization>Apache Software Foundation</organization>
<organizationUrl>http://www.apache.org</organizationUrl>
      </developer>
[orcmid]

Since we cannot name all of the developers, I think a group developer might be better. That is,

    <developer>
       <name>Apache OpenOffice Project</name>
       <email>dev@openoffice.apache.org</email>
    </developer>

This should line up better with the standard project notice on the source files.

You could even have this in addition to your entry. It might be useful to have yours there as distribution [release] manager.
[cmarcum]

That's good,  I will add the group also.

    </developers>
    <scm>
<connection>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk</connection <developerConnection>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk</
developerConnection>
<url>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk</url>
[orcmid]

Linking to the repository trunk seems too high level. Is there a closer URL for the repository for the (buildable) source of the artifact?
[cmarcum]

Yes, <url>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/main/ridljar</url> is closer.
juh.jar will be ../main/javaunohelper
jurt.jar will be ../main/jurt
officebean.jar will be ../main/bean

The one that is different is unoil.jar which has no Java sources but is generated from IDL files.
however ../main/unoil dir does exist and contains makefiles.

    </scm>
    <dependencies>
      <!-- none -->
    </dependencies>
</project>

[1] http://central.sonatype.org/pages/requirements.html
[2] https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Uno/Java/MavenBundles
[orcmid]

Will you link to the wiki page [2]? If so, please link to a specific history page, since there can be changes for future distributions, just as this is a change over the past.
[cmarcum]

I don't think there is a tag I can use to link to that page from the POM file.

If you mean when I edit the page for the updates then yes, no problem or I can leave the 3.2.1 stuff at the bottom of the page and label it as such.

Thanks,
Carl

Thanks,
Carl