On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 17:12:14 +0100
Marcus <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 12/30/2015 11:32 AM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 11:10:33 +0100
> > Marcus<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

> >> great, this is indeed one of our most anoying bugs. If there is a way to
> >> fix it, please try to help here. I could think of changing the order of
> >> files that get written on AOO shutdown.
> >>
> >> Marcus
> >
> > As I see it, because registrymodifications.xcu lists the "history" of
> > OpenOffice's activity, it should (must?) be written as the last file in
> > closedown.
>
> of course this needs to be analyzed in detail if it's possible to change
> the order for file saving.
>
> > There are historic reasons (limited disk space?) for the automatic backup
> > setting not to be checked; with modern disk sizes I doubt that this is now
> > valid and we should change that setting to cause automatic backup by
> > default in future releases.
>
> Limited disk space must be indeed an old reason we shouldn't take into
> account nowadays. But as you wrote "reasons", do you know any more?
>
> Marcus

We forget how computers have speeded up since microcomputers were invented,
with faster hard disk transfer, use of hardware and software write buffers, so
in the distant past it might have been reasonable to omit "unnecessary" disk
access to improve the response of OpenOffice, which has never been noted for
lightning speed. But this is just a guess.

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>